Aloo Gosht (or lamb and potato curry) is a classic South Asian dish, with a delicious combination of textures and tastes from the succulent lamb pieces and soft potatoes.
Serves 4 | Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 30-45 minutes
500g Lamb (mixed cut)
500g Potatoes (quartered)
2 Medium Onions
2 Medium Tomatoes (chopped)
10 Cherry Tomatoes
1/2 cup Passata (Sieved Tomatoes)
1/2 cup Plain Yoghurt
1 tablespoon Garlic & Ginger Paste
1/2 tablespoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
1 tablespoon Jeera (Ground Cumin)
1/2 cup Chopped Coriander
1/4 cup Cooking Oil
2 cups Water
- Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- In a large pan on a high heat, fry the onions until brown.
- Stir in the tomatoes, passata, spices, salt and garlic & ginger paste, and fry for 1 minute.
- Add in the lamb and potatoes, mix well and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the yoghurt, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Cover the contents of the pan with water (approximately 2 cups)and bring to the boil.
- Turn to a low heat, cover the pan and simmer for approximately 30-45 minutes, or until lamb pieces are cooked through and soft.
- Top with cherry tomatoes (sliced in half) and garnish with coriander.
Serve with rice/naan and enjoy 🙂