Easy to follow recipe for a delicious, moist chocolate chip sponge cake.
Serves 12 | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 250g unsalted butter (softened/melted)
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g self raising flour
- 4 medium free range eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract/paste (optional)
- 100g milk chocolate drops/chocolate chips
- Grease and line a 15cm/6″ round cake tin.
- Preheat oven to 170C/150C Fan/325F.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Whisk in the eggs gradually (a little bit at a time).
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, and fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Transfer cake mixture to the baking tin and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle over the chocolate drops/chocolate chips.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.