Bake yourselves a tangtastic lemon drizzle cake!
Serves 12 | Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 45 minutes
– 250g Unsalted Butter (softened)
– 250g Caster Sugar
– 4 Medium Free Range Eggs (lightly beaten)
– 250g Self Raising Flour
– 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
– 1 Lemon
– 1 tablespoon Caster Sugar (for the lemon/sugar drizzle mix)
– Grease and line a 15cm cake tin and preheat the oven to 170C/150C Fan/338F.
– Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
– Add the eggs a little bit at a time to the sugar and butter mixture, whisking well each time until the mixture is light and fluffy.
– Sift in the flour and baking powder, and fold into mixture well until smooth.
– Grate the zest/rind of the lemon into a small bowl, and stir into the cake mix.
– Pour the cake mix into the cake tin, spreading evenly.
– Bake the cake for 45 minutes on the middle shelf of the oven, or until golden brown on top (and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean).
– To prepare the lemon drizzle, squeeze the juice of the lemon into a small bowl and add the tablespoon of sugar, mixing well until sugar has dissolved.
– Using a knife/skewer, put small slits/holes into the top of the cake,and pour the lemon drizze carefully over the top of the cake.
– Serve and enjoy 🙂