In this post, I share my current every day skincare routine, and how I managed to clear up my acne scars and marks.
As I get older, I realise how important it is to take care of my skin daily, and the last thing I want is to prematurely age my skin. I am 35 years old, and I personally think that my skin is in fairly good condition. To give you some background information, I have never smoked or drank, I rarely wear makeup, and try to live a fairly healthy lifestyle (although chocolate is one of my true loves and I have a serious sweet tooth). Also, I should definitely drink more water and get more sleep.
My skincare routine is pretty basic compared to many other skincare routines you will see on the internet, where the use of 10 different products and a fancy skincare gadget is not uncommon. It is a step up for me though. In the past, I would use hand wash (yes, you read that right – hand wash) to cleanse my face morning and night. This made my skin more sensitive and dry, especially as the hand washes we use are fun-looking for children (i.e. colourful and full of chemicals).
Once I decided to take my skin care a little more seriously, I searched for a decent everyday facial wash and face cream suitable for my skin. I have combination skin, with a nose that can get very oily, a dry forehead and occasionally dry cheeks. My skin can become sensitive, particularly when it is my time of the month. If I use a light moisturiser, my skin remains dry and I pick at the dry skin, leading to marks and scars. If I use a very rich/thick moisturiser, my skin becomes more dry and sensitive when I do not have moisturiser on my face and I break out in spots. After trialling a few face creams, I settled for the Nivea Daily Essentials Rich Moisturising Face Day Cream (Dry & Sensitive) for during the day and Nivea Daily Essentials Rich Regenerating Night Cream (Dry & Sensitive) for the night. I love Nivea as a brand, and the day cream is the perfect texture for my skin – not too rich and not too light. The night cream is a lovely, rich cream, and lasts ages as you only need to apply the night cream once before sleeping.
I am currently using the Simple Kind To Skin Moisturising Facial Wash which is gentle on the skin and cleanses well. I was using Lacura Gentle Face Wash Gel from Aldi prior to this, and it worked just as well. For days that I wear makeup, I use Coconut Oil or Garnier Skin Micellar Cleansing Water to wipe off my makeup, followed by washing my face with an exfoliating facial scrub to get rid of any remaining makeup.
My step-by-step skincare routine:
- Wash my face with lukewarm water, apply Simple Kind To Skin Moisturising Facial Wash and rinse.
- Dry with a clean towel and apply Nivea Daily Essentials Rich Moisturising Face Day Cream (Dry & Sensitive) and Lip Balm (Vaseline Lip Therapy Aloe Vera).
- If I wear makeup: remove makeup using coconut oil or Garnier Skin Micellar Cleansing Water, and wash face with an exfoliating facial scrub to remove any remaining makeup. Dry with a clean towel and apply Nivea Daily Essentials Rich Moisturising Face Day Cream (Dry & Sensitive).
- Before bed, wash my face with lukewarm water, apply Simple Kind To Skin Moisturising Facial Wash and rinse.
- Moisturise my face with Nivea Daily Essentials Rich Regenerating Night Cream (Dry & Sensitive) and apply Lip Balm.