This is a fabulous alternative to the usual spaghetti and meatballs, and perfect if you like your food with a little more flavour and spice.
Serves 4 | Preparation Time: 30 minutes | Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 500g Mince (Mutton/Lamb/Beef/Chicken)
- 2 Onions (Medium)
- 3 Tomatoes (Medium)
- 1 Eggs (Medium, Free Range)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 3⁄4 cup Gram Flour (Besan) or Plain Flour
- 3 teaspoons Salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Crushed Hot Chilli Flakes
- 1 teaspoons Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chilli Powder (Hot)
- 1⁄2 cup Coriander (Chopped)
- 3 tablespoons Oil (Olive/Sunflower/Other)
- 1 cup Passata
- Sunflower Oil (for frying)
For the meatballs:
- Add the mince, 1 teaspoon salt, crushed hot chilli flakes, ground coriander and jeera to a large mixing bowl.
- Crack the egg directly into the bowl.
- Grate 1 tomato and 1 peeled onion into the bowl.
- Peel the garlic and grate into the bowl.
- Add the chopped coriander and gram flour to the bowl.
- Mix thoroughly using your hand.
- Shape the mince into round balls, and place onto a clean plate/tray. You will need a bowl of water to dip your hands into (as you shape the balls) because the mixture is quite sticky.
- Deep fry or bake the meatballs until they are a golden brown and cooked through.
- Drain on a large plate lined with kitchen roll.
For the sauce:
- Slice 1 onion and fry in sunflower oil on medium/high heat until brown.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and hot chilli powder to the pan and stir.
- Chop 2 tomatoes and add to the pan. Cook on a medium heat and stir at regular intervals.
- Add the passata and stir into the mixture. If the mixture becomes too dry, add a few dashes of water. Keep stirring at regular intervals as the mixture cooks.
- Once the oil separates from the tomato/oil mixture, it is ready.
- Add 1⁄2 cup of water and bring to the boil. Leave on low heat for 5 mins.
For the pasta:
- Break spaghetti sticks into half and place into a large pan.
- Add a kettle full of pre-boiled water and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Stir a little then allow to boil for approximately 12-15 mins (or until the spaghetti is cooked).
- Drain and serve.
You can either pour the sauce over the pasta and meatballs, or chop the meatballs in half and mix the spaghetti, meatballs and sauce, and top with grated cheese. The world is your oyster as they say 😉