A simple and easy to follow recipe for a delicious victoria sponge sandwich, made with fresh cream and jam. Don’t forget to invite me to your tea party 😉
Serves 16 | Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time 25 minutes (plus time for chilling)
- 250g Butter (softened)
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 250g Self Raising Flour
- 4 Medium Free Range Eggs
- 300ml Double Cream
- 30g Icing Sugar (plus extra for dusting)
- 150g Strawberry Jam
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Paste (optional)
- Grease and line two 15cm springform cake tins.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Add the butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl, and cream together until smooth.
- Lightly whisk the eggs in a small bowl, and add a little bit at a time to the butter/sugar mix, whisking well each time until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Stir in the vanilla paste (optional).
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, and fold into the wet ingredients until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Split the cake batter equally between the two cake tins, spreading evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes are golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the tins, and transfer to a wire rack until cooled completely.
To prepare the filling:
- Add the double cream to a large bowl, and whisk well to form stiff peaks.
- Fold in the icing sugar.
To assemble the cake:
- Place each cake on a large plate, with the bottom of each cake facing upwards.
- Spread the double cream filling evenly over one of the cakes.
- Spread the jam evenly over the other cake.
- Carefully place the cake with jam onto the cake with cream, by slowly the plate upside down over the cake with cream.
- Lightly dust with icing sugar.
- Place the cake in the fridge to allow the cream to set for at least an hour.
Serve and enjoy 🙂