Fruit Cocktail is super yummy and diverse, and I love trying out different desserts using fruit cocktail. For this recipe, I thought I would combine chocolate with fruit cocktail, not sure it would work, but it definitely does.
Serves 16 | Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 30 minutes (plus time for chilling)
- 250g Unsalted Butter (Softened)
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 200g Self-Raising Flour
- 60g Drinking Chocolate Powder (or Cocoa Powder)
- 4 Medium Eggs (Free Range)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 tin Fruit Cocktail in Light Syrup (or similar)
- 100g Dark Chocolate (broken into pieces/chunks)
- 300ml Double Cream
To prepare the cakes:
- Grease and line two 15cm springform cake tins.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Add the butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl, and cream together until smooth.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, and add a little at a time to the butter/sugar mix, whisking well each time to get a light and fluffy mixture.
- Sift in the flour, drinking chocolate/cocoa powder and baking powder. Fold into the wet ingredients until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the syrup from the fruit cocktail tin to the cake mixture.
- Split the cake mix equally between the two cake tins. spreading evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes are risen and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the tins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To prepare the fruity chocolate filling & topping:
- Add the chocolate to a glass bowl, and melt over a pan of simmering hot water.
- Stir in the double cream and whisk until smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Drain the fruit cocktail, discard the syrup and mix the fruit into the chocolate topping. Allow to cool completely.
To assemble the cake:
- Place one cake on a large plate with the bottom of the cake facing upwards.
- Pour approx. half of the chocolate fruit cocktail mixture over the cake, spreading in an even layer.
- Carefully place the other cake over the top of the chocolate fruit filling, with the cake facing the right way up.
- Top with the remaining fruit chocolate mixture.
- Chill in the fridge for a few hours/overnight to allow the chocolate to set.
Serve and enjoy 🙂