In this post I share three easy and yummy snacks or starters which are perfect for Iftar during Ramadan or Eid.
1.Chicken Tikka Pasta Salad
Serves 6 | Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 20 minutes (plus 30 minutes marination time)
- 500g Chicken (thigh/breast, cut into chunks)
- 1/2 cup Yoghurt (I used Greek yoghurt)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 500g Pasta
- 250g Soft Cheese
- 4 Spring Onions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Sweetcorn
- Handful of Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- Add the yoghurt, salt, paprika, turmeric powder, garlic powder and red chilli powder to a large mixing bowl and combine until well mixed.
- Stir in the lemon juice
- Add the chunks of chicken, and fully coat in the marinade. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow chicken to marinate.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add the chicken and cook on a medium heat until the liquid has dried, stirring regularly to stop the chicken from sticking. Remove from heat and set pan aside.
- Cook pasta according to instructions on packaging. Drain and return pasta to pan. Do not turn the cooker on.
- Stir in the soft cheese. Add all but a handful of the chicken tikka pieces. Add in the sweetcorn and spring onion, and stir everything until well combined.
- Add the chicken tikka pasta salad to a serving dish, and top with the handful of chicken tikka pieces. Garnish with the cherry tomatoes and coarse black pepper.
- Serve warm/cold.
Note: Add any salad of your choice. Olives, cucumber, feta cheese would taste great in this chicken tikka pasta salad.
2. Cheesy Kebabs
Makes 9 | Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 500g Mince (I used lamb mince)
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Ginger
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Medium Egg
- 1/2 cup Plain Flour
- 1/4 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 220g Mozzarella Cheese (grated)
- Oil for frying (optional as the kebabs can be grilled/air fried)
- Chop the onion, tomato, garlic cloves, ginger and green chilli in a food processor until finely chopped. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mince, egg, plain flour, breadcrumbs, salt, red chilli flakes, garam masala & lemon juice to the mixing bowl. Mix everything until well combined.
- Shape the kebab mixture into golf sized balls and flatten into discs in the palm of your hand.
- Place a teaspoon of mozzarella in the centre of the kebab, and shape the kebab around the mozzarella to create a ball. Flatten into thick kebabs, making sure that the mozzarella cheese is fully enclosed in the kebab. Repeat until the kebab mixture has been used.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the kebabs, turning once or twice until the kebabs are a lovely deep brown colour. Drain on kitchen roll.
- Serve with your favourite chutney.
3. Mini Veg Pasties
Makes 14-16 | Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 2 x Ready Rolled Puff Pastry sheets (I used 375g Puff Pastry sheets)
- 350g Potatoes (peeled and chopped into chunks)
- 350g Frozen Mixed Veg
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Coarse Black Pepper
- 3 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 Egg (to seal & coat the pasties)
- Add the potato chunks to a medium pan, sprinkle over salt and cover with water. Bring to the boil, and boil for ~4 minutes (or until potato chunks are soft)
- Boil the frozen mixed veg in water until soft and ready to eat.
- Add the potatoes and mixed veg to a large mixing bowl and mash together using a potato masher.
- Stir in the salt, coarse black pepper and mayonnaise until well mixed.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the puff pastry sheet. Add a tablespoon of the veg filling to the cookie-shaped puff pastry, and top with another cookie-shaped puff pastry, Seal and coat with egg wash. Bake according to the instructions on puff pastry packaging.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂