One of my favourite desserts that takes me right back to my childhood days! This is a really simple recipe for Apple Crumble. The topping is crunchy and creamy, and the filling is just how it should be…a combination of sweet and tangy.
Serves 4 | Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 30 minutes
145g Caster Sugar (Or Golden Caster Sugar)
175g Plain Flour
1 pinch Ground Cinnamon (Optional)
Preheat the oven to 180C/375F/Gas Mark 5
For the filling
- Prepare the apples by peeling, coring and chopping them into chunky pieces (not too small or they will disintegrate).
- Place the apple pieces into a shallow baking dish, approximately 9 x 7 inches.
- If you are using cinnamon, mix it with 2 tablespoons of the sugar and sprinkle it over the apples. If you are not using cinnamon, just sprinkle the sugar. Put the apple dish to one side.
For the topping
- Place the flour and sugar into a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour and sugar until the mixture is very coarse. The mixture does not have to be really even, and works well with an uneven texture. Alternatively mix the crumble topping in a food processor.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the apples evenly.
- Place into the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown (or you can see the apples bubbling through from underneath).