This chocolate and raspberry sponge cake is super luxurious, and the contrast between the chocolate and raspberries is delightful.
Serves 12-16 | Preparation Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 40 minutes (plus time for chilling)
- 250g Butter (softened)
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 4 Medium Eggs (Free Range, lightly whisked)
- 250g Self Raising Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 300ml Double Cream
- 150g Milk Chocolate (broken into chunks/pieces)
- 1 tablespoon Honey (optional)
- 150g Fresh Raspberries
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract/paste (optional)
To Prepare The Cake:
- Grease and line a 15cm round cake tin.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Add the butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl and cream together until smooth.
- Add the eggs gradually and whisk well while adding the eggs, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Stir in the vanilla extract/paste (optional).
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, and fold into the wet ingredients using a large spoon. Do not over-mix.
- Add the cake batter to the tin, spread evenly and place into the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes (or until the top of the cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean).
- Allow the cake to cool in the cake tin.
To Prepare The Cake Topping:
- Add the chocolate to a glass bowl and melt over a pan of hot water on a low heat.
- Stir in the honey (optional).
- Add in the double cream, and stir until the mixture is glossy and smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
Assemble The Cake:
- Pour the chocolate topping over the cake in the cake tin evenly.
- Decorate with the raspberries.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours/overnight.
Serve and enjoy 🙂